Saturday, February 9, 2013

February 9th - Grocery Shopping

Well, I was prepared and ready to shop today.  First stop, The Real Canadian Superstore.  Picked up some nan and a pizza crust for 50% off from the bakery, got a price match on the expensive razor blades my hubby prefers (from $24.99 down to $16.99!) - and even managed to use a $3.00 coupon on them.  Also picked up Woolite laundry soap on sale and with a $2.00 coupon.  Once again - did my usual quick scan of the receipt when I finished loading the bags into the car...  And promptly went back inside the store to point out the quinoa that had rung in for $2.79 instead of $2.29.  Yes, it's only a few dollars.  Yes, it took about 5 minutes of my time. 
Scanning Code of Practice indicates that if the marked or advertized price of an item does NOT ring up, consumers are entitled to receive the first item that has incorrectly rung in for free, provided it's value is $10 or less.  If it's more than $10 then you are entitled to $10 off the purchase price.  So for 5 minutes of waiting for a price check I got back $2.79 - or $33.48 / hour.
Almost every week I will catch something not ringing up properly and receive an item for free.  In the course of a year it probably saves me over $100 which isn't too shabby!
Once I picked up most of the items from there, I headed to Sobeys.  There are a few things that don't work well with price matching, especially bakery things and produce that the store doesn't have!  I wanted to get the kaiser buns 6 pk for $1.00.  Sobeys here opens at 8:00.  I arrived at the store at 8:15.  I head to the bakery where there are no buns.  So I ask the bakery lady for the buns.  She returns from the back to inform me that 'they are still proofing'.  What the ....?  They aren't even in the oven, cooling, or waiting to be priced - THEY AREN'T EVEN READY FOR THE OVEN?!?! 
Ok, I realize that they are a loss leader.  Which was exactly why I was there to get them.  Did someone forget to tell the bakery that the store opened at 8:00?  Hmph...  Alright, on to the deli for some meat ends sliced.  Wha?  The price went from $9.90 / kg two weeks ago up to $12.90 / kg this week???  No thanks, I didn't notice any of the deli meat prices going up...
When I paid for my items I complained to the cashier - and was met with a blank look.  I then went to customer service - and didn't get much better "oh, I'm sorry - they will be ready this afternoon".  Somehow, no one seems to recognize that I go shopping as soon as the stores open so I can avoid the crowds and get in and out quickly.  Sobeys is seriously loosing a customer in me, the service sucks, the prices are exorbitant, and they certainly don't seem to care about the customer.

Well, that about sums up my rant...  have so far spent $200.18 of the $200.00 budget so far.  Will have to really watch for the rest of the month, need bathroom tissue still....
This week spent more on razor blades and laundry soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment